Let’s face it – DIY bloggers are a different breed, and sometimes our friends IRL really don’t get us.
I think a lot of us start our blogs in the first place simply to find people who get excited about the same stuff we do….not everyone gets giddy over a decrepit piece of furniture or tackling terrible messy renovation projects.
I don’t know about you, but a most of my friends are like,
“Yeah…I would just hire someone to do that”
Not everyone speaks our language.
There are definitely things we all do that are pretty funny (and maybe a little nuts) when you take a step back and look at them from outside the DIY and blogging world.
I spend a lot of time looking at other blogs and sometimes I notice so many similarities it makes me giggle a little.
30 Signs You are a DIY Blogger
You have these items in your house right now:
- Decorative Spheres. I love a good wicker/moss/metal/wood ball as much as the next gal but let’s face it – they are a little silly. Most men are completely baffled by them.
- Clear vase with white tulips. I think they come with the DIY blogger starter kit, but hey – nothing upgrades a room faster.
- Old door, old shutters or old window as artwork. Extra points for all three. Others call it junk on the side of the road – we get super-stoked and call it “decor”.
- Hunk of wood, deer antlers, pine cones or seashells as decor. You can’t beat free, right?
- Baskets or bins with cute labels
- Clear jars with cute labels
- EVERYTHING has cute labels
- Old books you will never read. Extra points if they are covered in burlap, paper or painted coordinating colors and wrapped in string
- A picture frame with nothing in it
- At least one chalkboard. Extra points if you DIY-ed it.
- Mismatched dining room chairs
- Words on your walls. So. Many. Words. EAT, KITCHEN, BRUSH, WASH, LAUNDRY. Have we forgotten what do in our kitchens, bathrooms and laundry rooms?? The first time I hung letters on my wall, my then teenage son said, “Are you afraid you’re going to forget your initials?” BAKERY, PANTRY, SPLASH, LAUGH. HELLO, BAR. Extra points for motivational quotes.
- Truly excessive amounts of throw pillows…..TRULY. Is there a 12 step program for this?
- Vintage fans, globes, cameras, or maps displayed on shelves and console tables. We are keeping our local flea markets in business.
- At least one drawer (and probably more) stuffed full of “paint clothes”
How did you do? I’m 15 out of 15, so let’s continue…
How many of these statements apply to you?
16. Your next DIY project should REALLY be creating an elaborate catalog storage system for the obscene amount of spray paint you own.
17. You have given your passengers whiplash coming to a screeching halt while driving and spotting an interesting looking trash pile.
18. Your neighbors have probably questioned your sanity – more than once.
19. If you’re lucky, your partner or spouse humors your crazy projects – and maybe even helps.
20. You regularly spend hours painting furniture so that you can sand it off.
21. You don’t rescue cute dogs and cats…you rescue orphan furniture. And pallets. Oh, and old glassware. And sometimes broken lamps.
22. Your super power is being able to completely redecorate a room just by shopping your attic/basement/garage.
23. The staff at the local home improvement stores know you by name.
24. You have DIY-ed at least one project that ended up costing more time, money and aggravation than just buying it in the first place.
And it was probably the same project that made you say –
Or made you want to just do this:
25. You have a deep, DEEP affinity for garage sales, thrift stores and junk shops.
26. You have DIY-ed at least one light fixture in your home.
27. And you truly believe that aside from dry shampoo, Pinterest is the single most amazing invention of the 21st century.
We are modern day MacGyvers, aren’t we?
28. You get a little crazy sometimes obsessing over page views and stats.
29. Sometimes it’s hard to finish any of your projects because you are easily distracted by the next genius creative/DIY/marketing/post idea.
30. But when another blogger likes your stuff, it totally makes your whole week!!!
We are Jedi masters at juggling a million things – jobs, kids, businesses and multiple DIY projects.
Aren’t you glad to know you’re not the only one? 😆
I’m linking this project up at some terrific blog parties – you can find my complete list of places I party HERE.